We could throw Him a surprise party. Oh, wait…He’d know we were even thinking of it, let alone actually attempting it.
OK, I have it; it’s exactly what He wants, but can’t have unless we give it to Him ourselves. It’s the perfect CHRIST-mas present:
Our hearts; actually, the gift we give to Him is more than just our hearts:
- Our BELIEF – Our certainty that He was born, how He was born (i.e., by a virgin), Who He was when He was born, what He was sent here to do (and by Whom He was sent), that He died and rose from the dead, that He accomplished His mission, and that He will return again to establish His Kingdom.
I have no doubt that Jesus knows what a stretch it is for mortal humans, with highly limited imaginations* to conceive of such things, let alone HOW they could occur.
* (imaginations compared to His, through Whom everything came into being from nothing! I mean, come on, that takes a heck of an imagination, wouldn’t you say?)
- Our FAITH — an unshakable trust in Who He is and what He was sent here to accomplish.
Activating our faith requires three things:
- First, that we believe that the scriptures are the inspired word of God (otherwise we have no basis for faith in Jesus);
- Second, that we KNOW what Jesus was sent here to do (to be the once-and-for-all sacrifice for all offenses committed by everyone everywhere throughout human history);
- Third, that Jesus’ death, in the time and manner it occurred, provided the once-and-for-all sacrifice, which the Father required to erase (not only pardon, but “take away“) all sin; and that His resurrection and ascension is the precedent for our own when we invite Him into our hearts to be Lord of our lives.
- Our OBEDIENCE — As wonderful as our BELIEF and TRUST is to Jesus, It’s all lip service, really, without our following through on what we declare our belief and trust to be. “Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice…” (1 Samuel 15:22).
Well, what do you say? Can you wrap your BELIEF, TRUST, and OBEDIENCE in the gift box of your heart, tie it with the bow of your life’s commitment to the Father, and present it to Jesus this Christmas?
I can’t wait to see Him unwrap your gift.
Oh yeah, don’t forget: He and the Father already gave you theirs.
Blessings and joy in the journey.